Wednesday 17 April 2013

My name Stuart Hughes


I am 17 Years of age. I have lived in the West End of Newcastle all my life; I was brought up in Grainger Park then moved to Denton Burn in 2007.

I started The National Trust Inner City Project in 2007  because my sister was a member of the group and when she’s came home every Wednesday Night she used to go on and on about everything that happened that night, So I thought it sounds like fun and wanted to join. When I first showed up I was nervous and didn’t know what to expect, but, when I got there everything was fine, the staff were polite and had a humorous side.

When I started the group they took us to loads of interesting places including Wallington, Souter Lighthouse, Seaton Deleval Hall, Cragside and especially Gibside where we done loads of activity such as Orienteering, Walks, Spot Light, Residentials and  Low Ropes Courses. We all so done more activities away from The National Trust properties such as Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Canoeing, Walks in the countryside and going to the beach . We also went on residentials to the Lake District where we would do loads of fun activities in the evenings, do a walk on the second day and cook our own food. Our group used to volunteer for the Inner City Project by helping out at Newcastle Green Festival where we use to help raise money for our youth group by selling raffle tickets, making green men and bird boxes then also selling them.


Our West End youth group got cancelled in autumn 2008 because of other group members behaviour and attitude to staff, which I think it was a reasonable choice to make after a number of warnings were given. When the group got cancelled I started coming down to the Holy Jesus Hospital to Volunteer on Wednesday’s to help out around the office and sometimes cook with David.

Now I am studying towards a NVQ Level 1 in Business Administration, which I intend to complete by the end of September, and am on Work Placement at the Inner City Project.

The Inner City Project helped me to gain a lot more confidence within myself, they also helped me discover the outdoors because I would never of thought about going to places like Rock Climbing or Warkworth beach, where they use to take our group. They also give me the opportunity to try new things. They also helped me meet a variety of new people from people from different background’s to people with problems, to try new challenges and learn new skills. The Inner City Project gave me the motivation and confidence so I could “Get Something Out of Getting Out” and enjoy my life.

25th August 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment